Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Interview and Review for Soul Splitters by Becky and Dan

It's a privilege to be interviewing the authors of Soul Splitters from Wattpad. I was really surprise on how well this book was written and even though  they hadn't finished yet what I have read so far is absolutely marvelous. First lets start with interviewing the faces behind the book. I asked them some questions and they were nice enough to answer them.

When did you guys realized you wanted to be a writer?

Dan: When I realized I wasn't good at anything else!


Becky: Well, I have been thinking of stories in my head since I was young. So when I got to know Daniel, when we worked at the shop together, we seemed to be on the same page. We constantly thought about stories (In between serious work of course) and we encouraged each other about the ideas we had when previously we had keep them to ourselves thinking know one really wants to know. When we first decide to write a book together that's when I knew I wanted to carry on with writing, being able to open up a whole new world and having the freedom to express my ideas in words for once was really liberating.

What's your work schedule like when you're writing?

Dan: I tend to write in dribs and drabs, thought when I get inspired I can easily spend hours typing away.


Becky: I tend to write when I have the inspiration. I find that some of my worst writing comes from when I have no inspiration or when I'm not totally immersed in the world and the characters, so I always like to be able to feel totally in tune with the story and its themes before I write. Both Dan and I follow on from each other, we leave open ends to ideas and leave it for the other to carry on. We usually find inspiration on each other writing, although there is a plan we stick to when writing. By having the plan it helps us stay on track, which is nice.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk? 

Dan: Interesting writing quirk? Hmm, I don't know. Perhaps the fact that I utterly refuse to use hyphens at all, due to the fact that I think they look ugly! Even though Becky use them. (grrr)


Becky: Dan would probably say my interesting choice of words such as 'Undulations' which he still insist was my choice. I think we've chatted about that word so much I can't remember who wrote it. I think my writing quirk is definitively my hatred of static dialogue ( Dan definitively knows what I mean when I say that) I find myself going back over a lot of my writing, correcting speech and dialogue between the characters making sure its not to unrealistic or too static.

Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?

Dan: The quirky genesis of Soul Splitters and how we came up with the ideas is always my favorite story to tell! Becky and I used to work in a shoe shop every Saturday and one day we were talking about if ghost could jump into your body (Soul Splitting)  and the story ideas just grew from there as we got more excited and just came up with more.


Becky: It may sound weird, but to this day I have gotten my ideas from the comfort of my bed. I find it's the one place and at night is the one time in the day when my mind can drift, creating other worlds, new characters and situation that I would never think of during the day.

When did you guys wrote your first book and how old were you?

Dan: My first book was called "Quest" and I wrote it between the ages of 12 and 14. I thought it was so great I posted it on Amazon. No one bought it! Looking back I can see it wasn't very good (I was only 12) maybe I'll drag it out and give it a rewrite one day.


Becky: My first book was more like a fan fiction based on the books "Warrior Cats" By E R Hunter, I called "Pack" and basically did the same story with wolves. I think I was around 10 year old when I wrote "Pack" and to my dismay I never got past Chapter 5.

What you guys like to do when you're not writing?

Dan: Watch our favorite TV show called Miranda, eat bagels with pickle, ham and philadelphia cheese, and coming up with more story ideas.


Becky: I'm very much a creative person, and I have a keen for drawing and painting, so most of my time I'm sketching and Painting things. Other than painting, I love to read, play sports such as netball and watch lots of films as I'm a bit of a film fanatic.

What does your family think of your writing?

Dan: They love it, but they have to because they're my family!


Becky: To be honest, they don't know a lot about my writing. I tend to keep my writing secret from my family. They have only learnt from Soul Splitters since we put the story on wattpad. None of my family have read the book yet, but when I have explained it they are very intrigued by the story.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your book?

Dan: The average novel is 80,000-120,000 words. That's a lot of words!


Becky: I think the most surprising thing was how you get very emotional attached to your characters. You start to treat them as if they were real people and personally I have found myself defending Lucifer, who was one of my characters as if they were standing right next to me.

How many book have you guys written? Which is you favorite?

Dan: Out of the two: Soul Splitters is my favorite?


Becky: In total I think I have written around six books with Soul Splitters definitively being my favorite. I have another idea in the works at the moment but it will take a side seat until I'm fully satisfied with Soul Splitters.


Do you have any suggestions to help me or anybody become a better writer? If so, what are they? 

Dan: I'm not expert, but I could say one thing it would be that you don't need to be Shakespeare to write a good story, just have a good idea and passion to see it through the end. (80,000 words)


Becky: My major piece of advice is to make your character 'real.' Get a feel for them; try to almost act in your mind as they would act. Be able to see an image of your characters in from of your eyes with all the details. When you fully believe in your characters, others will follow.

Do your hear from your readers much? What kind of things do they say?

Dan: I been thrilled with the positive response we have gotten. Some of the things our readers have said is that they love the air of mystery, and the descriptiveness.


Becky: We hear a lot from our readers, and I would like to put out a special thank you to all those who have voted and commented on Soul Splitters. The majority are positive, however as always you're going to get criticism. Dan and I both work at sorting these so that everyone can enjoy the book to the full.

What do you guys think makes a good story?

Dan: A gripping plot, lovable characters and someone with the passion to write the story!


Becky: A good and deep plot line, a hook, believable characters and most of all a decent cover!

As a child, what did you guys wanted to do when you grew up?

Dan: An astronaut, a doctor, an actor, a lawyer, a journalist, a psychologist, and now an author.


Becky: When I was younger all I wanted to be was a vet, then it change to a police, dog handler, and now a computer animator. (Don't know how I got to that conclusion.)



* * * * 


Review Time



Title- Soul Splitters 
Author- Rebecca Lindfield & Daniel Kassim 
Rating- 5/5 starts!
Genre- Teen Fiction, Paranormal





* * * *

Book Description:

"In death, she had never felt so alive."

Autumn Iverson is dead. Trapped on the mysterious train station to the afterlife, however when Autumn reunites with a member of her 'living' past she discovers life after death. Until a starling revelation send her afterlife into turmoil. 

Thrilling, romantic and mystical Soul Splitters is an unconventional tale with a unique take on life after death.


What I think:

Even though this book is not finished yet I honestly enjoy every chapter that is up on Wattpad. One of my favorites part was the Prologue called Cessation, the descriptions are so vivid I felt like I was there with the characters. Dan and Becky will keep you in the edge of your seat before your even get to Chapter Two. 

Not only the descriptions caught my eye, it was also they way the characters developed through the story; they seemed so real, characters that anyone can relate to.  I also enjoy that's easy to read and it would leave you wanting more. The afterlife that they talk about  seemed so real. . . it's a magical world where you can get lost.

If you want real characters that you'll definitively fall in love with and a world full of magic, love and much more . . . this is the book for you. Come and take the journey with Autumn as she learns how to struggle with the afterlife. Hope you guys enjoy this story as much as I did. 





Book Link








No comments:

Post a Comment